Author Topic: Flarping 2.0 Mission Statement  (Read 1279 times)

RainbowSylph

• Administrator
  • Rumpus Buster
    • View Profile
Flarping 2.0 Mission Statement
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »
The Flarping 2.0 project is designed to, well, continue the greatness that is Flarping!  Losing this wonderful site, this home to so many, was quite a shock. And the replacements tried were just not really up to the quality I wanted. So I decided to try and make my own!

A social network site like Flarping, though, is quite a large and unwieldy beast. It can take a lot of time and effort to keep running. And the last thing I want is for this second version to collapse, too. So, one of the biggest and foremost goals for this project is sustainability. I want to build something that will last, that won't crumble on you guys again, so that we, as a community, will always have a place to come together.

PROJECT PLAN

Phase 1: Forum - Complete!

This is the site you're on right now! The goal of Phase 1 is to give the community a place to collect that's uniquely ours, where we can still find and meet each other. It is intended to be a temporary home, but one that is good enough to be permanent, should the need arise.

Phase 2: Get The Lights On

After the forum is established, we will be working on getting the very basics of a social networking site in place. Mostly this is a bunch of background technical stuff, but once things are up and running, we'll get some test users on it to start figuring out what we need to do to fulfill the needs of this community.

Phase 3: Flarping 2.0 Basic

The release target! For this phase, we plan to have the essential bits required to restore the core functionality of Flarping. Since longevity is a must, that means setting realistic goals and not overreaching our grasp. This phase will be missing a lot of the functionality of the old site, but it should have user timelines, a dash, notifications, stuff like that - the things you probably used the MOST on Flarping.

Phase 4: Adding Stuff

Time, effort, and (sadly) money permitting, phase 4 is when we start adding back in all the features that made Flarping great. The groups, the journals, the events, the whole bit. Heck, we might even find ways to make it better! Phase 4 is when we make the new site the best it can be.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:39:45 PM by RainbowSylph »

teenpipefan413

• Wriggler
    • View Profile
Re: Flarping 2.0 Mission Statement
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 03:46:18 PM »
Sounds like a solid plan!

RainbowSylph

• Administrator
  • Rumpus Buster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 04:54:33 PM »
Plan update!

Lurking in the dash somewhere is a post about how, with the existence of Hivetale, I wasn't sure I wanted to make this site into a social-network-style site since people already had Hivetale for that, and to try and copy them would be to essentially split the community without offering anything new. Also, people had started to grow fond of the forum-style site! As such, right now we're keeping with the forum, BUT, there have been a few social-network-style forum add-ons that I've found if the topic comes up again.

Dirk Strider, No Artificial Sass Added

• Wriggler
  • its mun jay, your gracious ogrelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:08:41 PM »
Plan update!

Lurking in the dash somewhere is a post about how, with the existence of Hivetale, I wasn't sure I wanted to make this site into a social-network-style site since people already had Hivetale for that, and to try and copy them would be to essentially split the community without offering anything new. Also, people had started to grow fond of the forum-style site! As such, right now we're keeping with the forum, BUT, there have been a few social-network-style forum add-ons that I've found if the topic comes up again.

*pounds fists into desk* LET'S BRING DREAMERSHAVEN BACK *throws ipad against the wall*

that is to say, i'm all for it!
Wait, so if I'm a sinner, and you're a sinner, then who's flying the plane??